POLITICAL LITERACY, A NEEDED SKILL FOR OUR GERNERATION | Stephen Wise
Aristotle, in his political philosophy, stated that Man is a “political animal.” By this statement, Aristotle means that man lives in a more “polis”. Man becomes man among others, living in a society governed by laws and customs. The man develops his potential and realizes its natural end in a social context. This is the “good life.” This is not an easy life, but a life of virtue is reflected in the highest good (eudaimonia), often translated as happiness. The above statement by this great philosopher has two consequential phases in human life, one being politically literate, while the other is when we are political illiterates. Now lets me simply define terms here: politics and literacy.
I so much like this definition that sees politics as the science of government; that part of ethics which has to do with the regulation and government of a nation or state, the preservation of its safety, peace, and prosperity, the defense of its existence and rights against foreign control or conquest, the augmentation of its strength and resources, and the protection of its citizens in their rights, with the preservation and improvement of their morals. Taking deeper, politics refers to achieving and exercising positions of governance — organized control over a human community, particularly a state. A variety of methods is employed in politics, which include promoting its own political views among people, negotiation with other political subjects, making laws, and exercising force, including warfare against adversaries. Politics is exercised on a wide range of social levels, from clans and tribes of traditional societies, through modern local governments, companies, and institutions up to sovereign states, to the international level. Something is termed Political: when it’s about public policy, or to politics; relating to affairs of state or administration; as, a political writer.
Literacy is the ability to read and write one's own name and further for knowledge and interest, write coherently, and think critically about the written word. The inability to do so is called illiteracy or analphabetism. Visual literacy includes in addition the ability to understand all forms of communication, be it body language, pictures, maps, or video. Evolving definitions of literacy often include all the symbol systems relevant to a particular community. Literacy encompasses a complex set of abilities to understand and use the dominant symbol systems of a culture for personal and community development. In a technological society, the concept of literacy is expanding to include the media and electronic text, in addition to alphabetic and number systems. These abilities vary in different social and cultural contexts according to need and demand. The primary sense of literacy still represents the lifelong, intellectual process of gaining meaning from a critical interpretation of the written or printed text. The key to all literacy is reading development, a progression of skills that begins with the ability to understand spoken words and decode written words, and culminates in the deep understanding of the text.
What is Political Literacy?
It is for individuals to take an active and effective role in each field of society related to the concept of management governance through knowledge, skills, and values. Political literacy is to participate in the management and in written and oral ways in the face of political events in national and universal dimensions. It is to be able to read and interpret texts, visuals on political issues. It is the set of skills or abilities necessary for the effective participation of citizens in government processes.
Having understood the meaning of political literacy, now the question is what is the importance of being politically literate as a human person who has social values?
Importance of being a political literate person:
1. It [Political Literacy] is a fence towards poverty and a constructing block of development. A financial system can expand the simplest while a circle of political literate heads helps it. So, the better the literacy price in politics, the better the employment possibilities withinside the market. And if there are an increasing number of possibilities for people to earn, the financial system will flourish.
2. Literacy in politics is in reality one of the major pillars upon which democracy stands strong. As greater human beings pick to take part in obtaining political literacy skills, the public can be actively indulged in political participation, main closer to a healthful democratic society.
3. As a younger individual, in our cutting-edge world, obtaining political literacy ability will assist us fact-test records approximately any candidate, examine their assertion and political manifestos, and be capable of determining if she or he cannot; with the aid of using doing this, we can vote for the proper individual who the cap fits. In different words, the greater one educates themselves, the much more likely they're to seem for voting.
4. Politically knowledgeable human beings have wealthy records of elevating their voices towards the injustices of corrupt governmental structures. Political literacy additionally consists of being acquainted with the essential democratic values, so when you feel that it’s being violated, you could take a leap forward to result in a wonderful change.
5. Most of the political and thuggery crook sports that manifest are simply determined tries with the aid of using precise people to live to tell the tale on this financial system. Did you realize that 6 out of 10 prisoners withinside the States lack simple literacy skills? They can’t have the funds to make ends meet with an ordinary job, due to the fact there isn’t any profits possibility for a person who isn’t sufficiently knowledgeable.
6. So while human beings (youths) are politically illiterates, they emerge as susceptible to being used for crook sports mainly for the duration of elections or even after elections. In fact, if we take a seat downright all the way down to enlist the motives why political literacy is critical in our society; it’ll by no means end.
As the sector progresses, they want political literacy ability maintains get greater importance. That being said, I desire that I should assist you've got higher information on why political literacy is significant. Are there a few essential factors that you’d like to feature in this conversation? Please allow us to understand withinside the remarks phase below!
1.) Aristotle, Political philosophy: Man is by nature a political animal. https://www.the-philosophy.com/man-political-animal-meaning-aristotle-quot.ext.03/17/2022
2.) What is political literacy? https://www.igi-global.com/dictionary/trump-fakenews-notmypresident/63356